Sunday, November 29, 2009

Pot of Gold

For the first time in the four months since my ankle injury happened I finally feel like there is an end in sight for this frustrating and wearisome journey. For most of the day today my foot and ankle felt normal, the pain was minimal to non-existant, and I did many of my 'regular' activities. I walked one mile on the treadmill at the gym, and I swam a mile. It felt incredibly good to walk a distance longer than the one from my house to my car. Swimming felt perfect, I was flying, and the cardio workout was much needed.

My activities are now solely focused around building up and strengthening my leg muscles. At first the thought of rehabbing without going through formal PT scared the crap out of me. Two weeks into the process its a lot less of a scary feeling. Actually, I am feeling more and more determined as each day goes by, which keeps me going at the gym. My this point, a full recovery is the only outcome that will be acceptable to me.

My bathroom mirror has July 31, 2010 written across it. That is the date of the Whirlpool Steelhead Triathalon...and I will be at both the starting line and the finish line a few hours later. It seems crazy to think about and I have had plenty of people remind me of exactly how much surgery I have been through, but its my dream. After all the surgery I have been through, being there and completing that triathalon would be just so much more meaningful and incredible. Its that dream that keeps me going, gets me out of bed in the morning. And if it does not happen in 2010...there is always 2011.

Even if tomorrow is more painful and not as 'normal' as today...it won't discourage me. My recovery is moving forward and progress is being made every day. Some days will be better than others and there will be small setbacks along the way. I can see the finish line...although I like to think of it more as the pot of Gold...

No comments: