Monday, November 23, 2009

Dear Santa

Oh how the joys of the first few weeks of true rehab after surgery had escaped my mind. One would think it would be nearly impossible to forget the joys of trying to locate muscles that are long gone...but my mind seems to have completely blanked out those few joyous weeks. Its been a week without the walking boot and my memory has been painfully refreshed on how hard the first few weeks can be. That is why I will be asking Santa for a new peroneal tendon for Chirstmas. Starting with a new one has got to be less painful than dealing with this old, battered, bruised, and cranky peroneal tendon.

Surprisingly the majority of the pain is coming from my arch and toes. My theory is that those muscles have gone completely unused for so long that they too are atrophied. Every push-off with my toes makes me want to chop them all off. Again, not having toes is sure to be less painful than dealing with the pain of using my toes once again.

There is joy in swimming in the pool that no other activity can bring. This is the only time during the day that I can move freely and not have any pain in my ankle. Plus, the cardio workout is good for not only the body, but the soul as well.

There is still such a long way to go before my ankle even begins to resemble or act like a normal ankle. My calf is starting to show signs of coming back to life, but even that is a long way to go. The theme of this update is a long way to go. This journey is still so far from being over. I need to keep myself constantly encouraged. In the end all of this will be worth it.

No comments: