Tuesday, January 19, 2010

snowboarding?

Its nearly midnight and all of the homework that is due tomorrow is done. At this point, being one day ahead on homework is reason for celebration. Going to bed right now would be the logical thing, but logic and me have never existed in the same sentence, so why start now?

Here is the exciting four month update on my ankle:

Pain: This is easy, there is NONE. A little bit of tighteness and stiffness in the morning, but once the ankle gets moving it feels fine. This is normal for peroneal tendon surgeries. Otherwise, there is no pain.

Strength: My right calf is only slightly smaller than the left after two months of working it to the max at the gym. Functionally, I can do every activity the same on the right as I can on the left. The only exception is balance. My balance on my right leg is still slightly lagging. This really only effects me when I have an urge in the middle of the day to get out of my desk at work and do the tree pose.

Restrictions: THERE ARE NONE!!!! My ankle as of today has been cut loose from all restrictions. All activities at this point are considered fair game. First up...snowboarding! :)

Overall: My ankle has made a full recovery. It still needs a little bit of time to regain that last little bit of strength, but its well on the way. I have been running one mile every night at the gym for the past week. My surgeon did make me promise him that I would wear a lace-up brace when doing "lighter activities" such as running, biking, pilates, ect... For heavier activities such as tennis, basketball, and dancing I need to wearing an aircast stirrup. If that was the deal that needed to be made in order to allow me to have a little fun...I will gladly agree.

Now, it is off to bed.

2 comments:

Julie said...

So let me get this straight. After YEARS of being in pain with your ankle you are FINALLY healed. And the first thing you have planned is SNOWBOARDING! Well, you were in a boot the last time you were in Dallas. I'm sure if you're here in a cast you'll get around just as well. :-) Have a great trip!

Brianne said...

There will be no broken bones from snowboarding. I PROMISE!!! I will be back to full speed by Dallas this time. So be warned that you will be forced to go running with me.