Monday, October 12, 2009

Top Ten List

Its been three weeks since all of the fun of surgery. This is really the first time since the surgery that I have felt both the desire or the motivation to update on anything. Things have been crazy in my life since the surgery and for the past few weeks the fact that I had surgery was the least of my concerns.

I see Dr Manoli tomorrow. That is a good thing because I am going crazy not being able to move my ankle or do anything that would even remotely feel like progress with my recovery. Nope, instead I am going to work, coming home, and pretty much sitting on my butt all day with a very large, heavy, and ugle boot on my foot. Although my original instructions were to leave my foot wrapped in the original dressing until I saw Dr M on the 13th...that did not happen. I am proud to say I made it a whole 10 days before I gave in and unwrapped the ankle. Its pretty swollen, but not all that bruised. The scar is about two inches long and on the outside of my ankle.

This whole process has been a difficult one. Ever since my unfortunate Naschair incident on August 7th I have been either on crutches, wearing a boot, or attempting to limp around unsuccessfully. However, about a week ago I realized that the pain was significantly less than it had been before surgery.

My list of goals and plans for after recovery is growing everyday. Its good because honestly some days I need something to focus on that is not my ankle or the other issues that have been in front of me. Here is the list as of today:
1.) Learn how to Snow Board this winter.
2.) Go downhill skiing
3.) Cross country ski a lot
4.) Run by the end of January
5.) Run a 5K race by April
6.) Lory's Place 5k in May
7.) Firecracker Triathalon in early July
8.) Steelhead Tri in late July
9.) Surf a lot
10.) Hike Middle Teton in August

Okay, okay I know this is all incredibly optimistic and in most ways unrealistic...work with me here. It feels good to have some goals and even if I do not make all of them, I at least have something to motivate me. The past 10 weeks have been tourture. I hate sitting still.

I am finally getting back into school in January. It only took a few years to figure out what I really want to do. Now that I know, I just have to get at it. My desire and my goal for a long time now has been to get a degree in nursing. Things are all set and I am going for it.

Tis all for now. Although the past three weeks have been very difficult and painful, things are looking a lot more positive. I have been so encouraged by my wonderful co-workers, friends, and Church family. Its been a wonderful reminder that I am not alone through anything that happens. So, one foot in front of the other...keep moving forward...all those silly cliches.

No comments: