Monday, September 21, 2009

fixed

I made it through surgery...again. This experience was a lot different than any of my knee surgery experiences. Ankle surgery is a different beast than the knees.

I left home at 8am this morning. We got there by 11:15am. We were about 30 minutes early so while we waited I taught my mom how to play some of the games on my iPhone. The surgery today was at a surgery center and not a hospital, which is a first. The surgery was supposed to take one hour but ended up taking two. My surgeon deepened the groove in my fibula, repaired the retinaculum (small ligament holding the tendon in place), repaired the tendon, and removed two pieces of muscle that were growing along the tendon and should not have been. The muscle growth is often the bodies response to injury of the peroneal tendon.

So, now comes the fun part, recovery. At present I am in a lot of pain and still feeling pretty doped up from the pain meds and surgery drugs. I'll post more later, but my head feels like its in a cloud and my ankle feels like it got whacked with a sledgehammer.

No comments: